Haskell Team Lead
We provide an intuitive, simple-to-use solution for both data feed management and ad automation which enables online retailers, brands, and agencies to sell and advertise globally. Today, 6000+ global customers continue to boost their business to the next level using Channable’s solution.
In 8 years we have rapidly grown into a company with an international team of over 200 young professionals. While we still have a scale-up vibe, working at Channable also means being part of a professional company. We are the market leader in Benelux and are now conquering the rest of the world, with teams for DACH, Nordics, UK, Italy, France, the US (office in New York), and Ibera (office in Logroño).
While you can still benefit from the start-up vibe, working at Channable also means being part of a professional company with an outstanding development team. We are now looking for a strong Haskell team lead for our Infrastructure team.
How we develop software
We have a strong engineering culture with a focus on correctness, reliability, and maintainability of our code. We have a number of services written in Haskell and in Python. Each service exposes a REST API and our services are composed together in a service-oriented architecture in which we can continuously improve each service.
We employ a continuous integration pipeline that allows us to quickly and safely deploy features, updates, and fixes several times per day. Our infrastructure is running on Google Compute Engine and we strive to automate each part of the software development process as much as possible.
What is your role going to be?
We use Haskell extensively for our core software infrastructure, which the Infrastructure (Infra) team is building and maintaining. We are now looking for a second team lead for one of our two Infra teams (Infra Red and Infra Blue). As part of the role, you will spend approximately 50 percent of your time leading and managing the team, while in the other 50 percent you will do hands-on work yourself. Together with your team, you will work on our backend services consisting of several different services, written in Haskell and Python, like a job scheduling system, a high-throughput data processing system, and an API gateway.
You will initially be managing a team of four Haskell developers, which will be growing over time. And you will be working closely together with our second Haskell team lead and with our CTO.
Your day-to-day tasks will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Leading the Infra team and motivating them to do their best work
- Interview and hire the right people to grow the team
- Have progress reviews and 1:1s with your team members
- Design, development, and testing of new product features
- Collaborate with and review PRs of other team members
- Improve the overall reliability and robustness of our application
- Work on scalability and performance improvements
- Work together with our product and DevOps teams on requirements and issues
If you want to read more about our development work, check out our tech blog: https://tech.channable.com/. You can also take a look at some of our open-source work at https://github.com/channable to get a feeling of how we work together and what our code looks like. In particular, the icepeak and alfred-margaret projects, are examples of our open-source Haskell projects, written by the Infra team.
Who are we looking for?
You are a mentor to other team members and you help them grow both their hard and soft skills. You like working in a young and dynamic team of skilled engineers discussing technical decisions openly and collaboratively. It is easy for you to break down big issues into smaller tasks, and to prioritize work in a pragmatic way. You recognize yourself in our company values and genuinely want to contribute to our company culture. In more practical terms, we expect you to have the following:
- Experience leading an engineering team, or experience in mentoring other engineers
- Excellent programming skills in Haskell or a similar typed functional programming language
- Experience with web development, web technologies, and APIs
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases, preferably Postgres
- Good working knowledge of Linux, git, and the command-line
- Committed to high engineering standards
- Available for at least 4 days a week, preferably full-time
- Living in The Netherlands (or willing to relocate) and in possession of a work permit (if you’re a non-EU citizen)
And then there are some things that are ‘nice to have’:
- Knowledge of Haskell libraries like warp, conduit, async, servant, aeson, compact
- Familiar with Python or other dynamic languages
- Experience in tuning and scaling a big application
- Having worked with distributed systems before
What do we offer?
- Yearly salary of 59.000 -113.000 euros based on your experience and a full-time (40 hours) contract
- Yearly offsite meeting with the whole company
- Career structure with clearly defined levels and steps
- Excellent training and onboarding to get to know the tool, our processes, and your colleagues
- Working in a fast-growing company with a young and ambitious team
- A spot in our beautiful new office in the heart of Utrecht, where lunch and much more are catered daily
- Great work-life balance and other working conditions; like free Yoga classes, massages, and sports groups. Finish the week with well-deserved drinks with your colleagues at our own office bar!
Are you the team lead we are looking for? Please apply by clicking on the "apply now" button below and send your application in English. You will receive a response within a week. If we also see the match, we'll invite you for a first online interview. Do you have any questions about this vacancy? Please contact Mart (email@example.com).
Contact by job agencies and recruiters will not be appreciated. Each recruiter or headhunter who approaches us agrees to a donation of € 250,- for Make-A-Wish.