Haskell Software Engineer
Walk to the top floor of our office in the center of Utrecht twice a week (or more), log in 💻 and be ready to take ownership of your work. You will sit next to like-minded tech-savvy Channapeople, who are as excited as you are to continue building Channable’s success as one of the best SaaS companies of 2022 🎉. We have a strong engineering culture that focuses on correcting, maintaining, and building the reliability of our code. Are you ready to be part of our international team? 🌍
Our Infrastructure team consists of more than 10 engineers in two teams: Infra Red and Infra Blue working (at least partly) from our office in Utrecht. You will be working on the backend of a complex distributed web application. Our tool provides a number of different services, written in Haskell and Python.
In this position, you will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of new and old features in our application. You will also be working on scaling our Haskell applications to the next level, where we can handle another order of magnitude increase in throughput while keeping our app fast and responsive. We value the readability, maintainability, and testability of our codebase. We expect you to value the same.
Our Stack includes: Haskell, Python, PostgreSQL, Redis, Ansible, Terraform, Ember.js, Prometheus. And we run all of our infrastructure on Google Cloud Platform.
- Design, development, and testing of new product features
- Collaborate with and review PRs of other team members
- Improve the reliability and robustness of our application
- Work on scalability and performance improvements
- Work together with our product and DevOps teams on requirements and issues
Who are you?
- Excellent programming skills in Haskell or similar typed functional language
- At least 2 years of software engineering experience (not necessarily in Haskell)
- Experience building a practical program in Haskell
- Experience with web development, web technologies, and APIs
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases, preferably Postgres
- Good working knowledge of Linux, git, and the command-line
- Committed to high engineering standards
- Living in The Netherlands (or willing to relocate) and in possession of a valid work permit (if you’re a non-EU citizen)
Nice to have
- Knowledge of Haskell libraries like warp, conduit, async, servant, aeson, compact
- Familiar with Python or other dynamic languages
- Experience in tuning and scaling a big application
- Having worked with distributed systems before
- Interested in automation and fast builds
Who are we?
Channable was founded 8 years ago in the heart of Utrecht. We are now a strong team of 200+ diverse individuals, more than 30 nationalities, a brand new HQ in Utrecht, serving customers all over the globe, and operating from other offices including New York, Spain and Germany.
Joining Channable means you’re looking for a bit more than just a job. We like spending time with each other. Be that in the office, our Channabar, or in one of our internal chats. We’re open minded and down-to-earth people. We’re super proud that everyone adds their own special spice to Channable’s culture. Diverse as we are, we all share our love for growth, to help, to take ownership, and create an awesome journey together. Feel free to take a further look at who we are here and on our Instagram, Facebook or Linkedin!
We have a number of services written in Python and in Haskell. Each service exposes a REST API and our services are composed together in a service-oriented architecture in which we can continuously improve each service. Have you already read our tech blog?
We employ a continuous integration pipeline that allows us to quickly and safely deploy features, updates and fixes several times per day. Our infrastructure is running on Google Compute Engine and we strive to automate each part of the software development process as much as possible.
What do we offer?
- Challenging full-time function with space for personal initiative
- Salary of 3400 - 8600 euros based on your experience
- Career structure with clearly defined levels and steps
- Excellent training and onboarding to get to know the tool, our processes, and your colleagues. After that, you’ll get the trust and responsibility to show what you got. Your buddy will support you throughout the whole onboarding
- Awesome office in the city center of Utrecht
- Work for a supportive company of +210 international employees! 🙌 🧑🤝🧑We have an open culture and 'flat' organization where everyone genuinely enjoys helping each other 🤗🎉
- The freedom to tailor make your own responsibilities and working schedule 💥
- The space to come up with your own ideas and implement them 💜🌟
- Since you can work from home for 3 days a week, we will provide home office supplies🖥️⌨️
- 26 vacation days 🌞 + 2 reload days 🍭 based on 40 hours, and on top of this; you are allowed to go for a 3-week-long workcation🍹
- Company-wide bonus 💰
- Having flexible working hours means starting your day between 8.00 - 10.00 am🕰️
- A 1.000 euros,- annual Individual L&D budget
- Free access to an online platform for mental health (OpenUp)
- Channaweekend (yes, we go abroad in 2023 for a long weekend with all the colleagues from all over the world 💜🔥)
"There are a lot of technological challenges waiting for a solution when you are processing large amounts of data. Individual developers are given a lot of ownership around projects and innovation is very important. Together with your colleagues, you can have some deep technical discussions. Our open culture ensures there is an enjoyable ambiance during work. After work, we have groups doing sports or games together."
- Reinier, Haskell Software Engineer at Channable.
How can you introduce yourself to us?
Are you interested? Please apply by clicking on the "apply now" button below. Please send your application in English. If it's a match, Giordano will get in touch with you for an introduction call. After that, you'll be invited for interviews. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible!
Contact by job agencies and recruiters will not be appreciated. Each recruiter or headhunter who approaches us agrees with a donation of € 250,- for Make-A-Wish.